Published on - 08-08-2017
Welcome to the Faculty of Modern Foreign Languages at Brighton Hill Community School. We are a faculty of 2 very experienced teachers of MFL, who are passionate about languages and aim to communicate this to our students in our teaching.
The MFL Faculty comprises:
Mrs Sophie Hallum Barnard: Head of MFL Faculty and Teacher of French and Spanish
Mrs Joanne Emerton: Teacher of French and German
During their time at Brighton Hill Community School, we aim to equip our students with the necessary language learning strategies which will allow them to develop their language capabilities not only in the present tense but also in the future frame as part of a lifelong learning process. We believe that in the ever-expanding world where the ability to communicate in a foreign language has never been more important, it is our responsibility to equip our students with those skills which will make them not only highly employable but also global citizens. We also firmly believe that, by studying a foreign language, students become more aware of their own language and as a consequence, their proficiency in literacy and communication in English also improve.
We aim to make our lessons interesting and engaging by using a wide variety of activities covering the 4 skills of listening, reading, speaking and writing. Each of the MFL classrooms is equipped with an interactive Smart board, with sound, and full use of this is made of these each lesson, with students participating in interactive tasks which the MFL teachers have developed themselves or through using language-learning websites, such as www.languagesonline.org.uk. We also have a strong focus on the importance of memorisation in Modern Languages and students enjoy using www.memrise.com to hone their vocabulary learning skills. Each class has regular lessons in the MFL computer suite, whereby they are able to practise vocabulary-building skills or grammar points on the MFL websites, or complete research on cultural aspects of the countries that they are studying.
We offer an annual residential trip to France as we believe that visits abroad enrich students’ learning and also develop their cultural awareness of the country.
MFL at Key Stage Three
All students learn French in Years 7 and 8 as their first Modern Foreign Language, regardless of their setting in English. In Year 8, prior to choosing their options, they also have taster lessons in Spanish and study why it is so important to learn a language, in order to make an informed decision about any language options they may wish to take at Key Stage 4.
The Key Stage 3 schemes of learning contain 5 modules of work over the academic year, with a focus on grammar and vocabulary building and include both formative and summative assessments in each of the 4 skills of listening, speaking, reading and writing. These enable students to be able to see and track their progress. There are also opportunities for students to experience some literature and learn about cultural aspects of the countries whose language they are studying.
MFL at Key Stage Four
In Year 9, students may choose to continue with French or begin to study Spanish. They can, of course, choose to study both languages. The Spanish courses are accelerated programmes, which aim to prepare the students for the demands of the GCSE course. Students beginning Spanish in Year 9 find that they progress quickly, as they are able to transfer the language acquisition skills they have gained in Years 7 and 8 to the new language they are learning.
In Years 10 and 11, all students follow the AQA GCSE specification. This tests their proficiency in the skills of listening, reading, speaking and writing in the foreign language. 60% of the course is assessed by controlled assessments in writing and speaking completed across the two-year course, with the remaining 40% being final exams in listening and reading at the end of Year 11. Students study the themes of Identity and Culture, Local, national, international and global areas of interest and Current and future study and employment through the foreign language. The GCSE course prepares students well for further study at AS and A2 level.