Q: How accessible is the school environment?
Supporting Your Child & Learning Support Department
Published on - 16-05-2016
- Apart from 6 classrooms in the English Block, the school is all on ground level but some faculty blocks need to be accessed by steps or permanent ramps. However, as not all areas are easily accessible by wheelchair, students who are temporarily incapacitated by ill health and require either a wheelchair or crutches can generally be accommodated for within the FLC.
- The site has one disabled toilet large enough to accommodate changing; it is situated by the PE changing rooms.
- The car park has parking bays for disabled badge holders, marked clearly in yellow paint.
- We liaise with EMTAS (Ethnic Minority and Traveller Advisory Service) who assist us in supporting families with English as an additional language or with a Traveller background.
- The school site has recently been updated to enable visually impaired students to move around the site with the assistance of yellow markings to clearly indicate steps and to highlight supporting structural posts in and around the school site.
- Corridors have mats which contrast against the colour of the flooring to indicate where doors are to ensure students can navigate around the school with ease.
- In addition to structural changes, the school has updated school maps so they are accessible in larger font or online for visually impaired students.