Letter to Parents - work being set
Information & Letter & News
Published on - 03-04-2020
Dear Parent / Carer,
Thank-you for completing the Microsoft forms feedback questionnaire regarding how you and your child / children are getting on with the work being set on the VLE.
I received 217 parent responses and 206 student responses, which is an excellent sample to be able to review and reflect on our practice regarding setting work for our students on the VLE.
Overall, the response to the amount, type and accessibility of work being set by our teachers was excellent and very appreciative.
- 67% of parents felt that the amount of work being set was ‘just the right amount’.
- 51% of students felt that the amount of work being set was ‘just the right amount’ with 44% feeling it was ‘too much’. You will see further down how we are responding to that.
- 85% of parents found supporting their child / children in finding work on the VLE ‘Easy as they know what to do’.
- 77% of students said they could find their work ‘no problem’ on the VLE.
- 62% of students said they knew what to do in terms of subject specific work however, they would value and appreciate more guidance. This was echoed by 47% of parents. Again, you will see further down how we are responding to that.
In a bid to refine the work being set to best support your child / children and to respond to some of the themes in the comments section of the questionnaire, you will see below some of the measures we are pro-actively taking:
- A more detailed step by step guide to accessing work on the VLE is now available on our website page – VLE Step by step guide. For ease this is also attached for you,
- Teachers will be reviewing how work is presented on the VLE and if not already, ensuring it is presented logically with clear dates and headings.
- Teachers are developing and refining the instructions and guidance on work set, to provide more details on how long to spend on the work and how / if it should be collated. As well as being mindful of some limited resources at home.
- Any links / resources will be specific to the work being set to support and guide students.
- Work set by teachers will be staggered and will be uploaded daily or in weekly blocks, therefore making the workload more manageable for students.
- Teachers will continue to check files are accessible and where possible use Word, PowerPoint and or Pdf files.
- I would also like to refer you to the work expectations which we put in place in readiness for the temporary school closure. This can be located on our website, Emergency Closure Plan. This provides details on our overarching principles regarding work.
Improvements may take time to embed, however, please be assured that all teachers are endeavouring to do their very best under challenging circumstances and their aim continues to be, how best to support all children in their learning.
Thank-you for your continued support and I hope you will find these refinements supportive for both you and your child / children. I wish you and your family all the very best of health.
Miss J Halsey
How to access work on the VLE